- Did Sherman’s tactics in North Carolina, or even in the entire South, represent legitimate warfare? Why or why not?
- Was the policy conducted by Sherman and his men of bringing war to the civilians in the South the most effective way to end the Civil War?
- Did the destruction of property and tangible goods by Sherman and his men do more to end the war than the mental side of the operation, attempting to break the will of the South?
- How do Sherman’s tactics compare to modern warfare? Would this strategy be effective or ethical in today’s world?
- How do you think North Carolinians’ renewed faith in the Confederate cause at the end of the Civil War affected the transition to peace and reconciliation with the Union?